What is Skills-Based Hiring?
Skills-Based Hiring is a talent recruitment strategy in which companies identify and evaluate skills and competencies to fill open positions, recognizing that pedigree is not the same as competency. This holistic process can reduce bias, add consistency and intentionality to the hiring process.
Why is Skills Based Hiring important?
In today’s economic climate, many businesses are struggling to retain, attract and promote employees. While sourcing talent is critical to a company’s operations, both employers and employees agree that traditional hiring processes do not work. In fact, some industry sectors are reportedly losing as much as 93% of the talent pool with such an approach. Skills-based hiring presents a different opportunity.
The Chamber is implementing a skills-based hiring workshop to help their community’s employers address their workforce challenges. Workshop participants will learn about the basics of skills-based hiring, including –
- Identifying Skills for Jobs
- Building Job Descriptions Based on Skills
- Building an Interview Process Aligned to Skills and Sourcing Candidates
- Screening and Evaluating Candidates Based on Skills
- Putting Skills-Based Hiring into Practice
Workshop details –
- Four, 2-hour sessions beginning March 29, 2024
- Sessions are in person with additional homework
- Workshop participants must be decision makers regarding job postings and hiring practices
- Cost to participate is $500 per organization
- Includes one 1-hour 1-on-1 coaching session (additional coaching available for fee)
- $250 is returned to participants who attend all trainings, utilize framework, and report back on hiring at least one person using skills-based hiring practices.
For more information contact Corrie Melton – firstname.lastname@example.org